40 Signs That You May Be Canadian:
1. You stand in "line-ups" at the movie, not lines.
2. You're not offended by the term, "Homo Milk"
3. You understand the phrase, "Could you please pass me a serviette, I just spilled my poutine"
4. You eat chocolate bars instead of candy bars.
5. You drink pop, not soda.
6. You know what it means to be on pogey.
7. You know that a mickey and 2-4's mean "Party at the camp, eh!!"
8. You can drink legally while still a 'teen.
9. You talk about the weather with strangers and friends alike.
10. You don't know or care about the fuss with Cuba,it's just a cheap place to travel with good cigars and no Americans.
11. When there is a social problem, you turn to your government to fix it instead of telling them to stay out of it.
12. You're not sure if the leader of your nation has Ever had sex and don't want to know if he has!
13. You get milk in bags as well as cartons and plastic jugs.
14. Pike is a type of fish, not some part of a highway.
15. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
16. You sit on a couch not a chesterfield - that is some small town in Quebec!
17. You know what a Robertson screwdriver is.
18. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
19. You know that Thrills are something to chew and "taste like soap".
20. You know that Mounties "don't always look like that"
21. You dismiss all beers under 6% as "for children and the elderly".
22. You know that the Friendly Giant isn't a vegetable product line.
23. You know that Casey and Finnegan are not a Celtic musical group.
24. You participated in "Participaction".
25. You have an Inuit carving by your bedside with the rationale, "What's good enough protection for the Prime Minister is good enough for me".
26. You wonder why there isn't a 5 dollar coin yet.
27. Unlike any international assassin/terrorist/spy in the world, you don't possess a Canadian passport.
28. You use a red pen on your non-Canadian textbooks and fill in the missing 'u's from labor, honor, and color.
29. You know the French equivalents of "free", "prize"and "no sugar added", thanks to your extensiveeducation in bilingual cereal packaging.
30. You are excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
31. You make a mental note to talk about it at work the next day.
32. You can do all the hand actions to Sharon, Lois and Bram's "Skin-a-ma-rinky-dinky-doo" opus.
33. You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous.
34. You were mad when "The Beachcombers" were taken off the air.
35. You know what a toque is.
36. You have some memento of Doug and Bob.
37. You admit Rich Little is Canadian and you're glad Jerry Lewis is not.
38. You know Toronto is not a province.
39. You never miss "Coaches Corner".
40. Back bacon and Kraft Dinner are two of your favourite food groups.
I showed this list to my Aussie friend Chris, which consequently confused him… This also inspired me to show him the Sharon, Lois and Bram opus, in which I then explained The Elephant Show and the song that goes with it. I grew up watching this show. Oh yes and Casey and Finnegan were from the show Mr. Dress Up. This inspired us to talk about old childhood shows. We also discussed dream analysis, but that’s another story.
And the rest of the day went like this…
I got up early to go hang out with my friends. I showed them the movie I was making. I thought it was crap, they thought it was creative and wonderful. Ah by the way this movie has taken up a lot of space on my computer. When I am done it will be put on a disc. I also had my student loan papers signed. I need them or I shall be un enrolled an in violation of my student visa, which means they could send me packing. Not good. I don’t think that will happen though.
Amy, Chris and I are getting Antonia a good bye present. She is from Hong Kong and is soon returning home. Amy bought her something “Australian” which happened to be a koala toy. Chris bought a picture frame. I am supplying the picture and the card. I am going to miss Antonia.
A Life of Choice
7 years ago