Life and times of an astrophysist who is actually a former journalism student who is really a NERD nerdy retarded weird girl pretending to be an astrophysisist...mispelling INTENDED!


NERD nerdy retarded weird girl central...well mostly my mussings and random interludes whilst I am working towards getting a car and licence so my random adventures and time spent in Australia was worth while. It should be intersting Enjoy! While in Australia...I was sunburnt,went to Sydney and wrote my first novel. So far back in Canadia I have been couch hoping and meandering from city to city. More adventures to come. Hopefully they are as interesting as my Australia ones.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Humanity Vs. Enviromentalism

Recently I’ve been told that I’ve gone on an environmental kick. That’s true!

Then there have been those who said I’m anti human and anti babies NOT true!

I guess that’s what I get for reading a chapter titled Go Forth and Multiply…in David Suzuki’s book It’s a Matter Of Our Survival. Some scientists and anti-poverty groups suggest abortion could be used to control the overpopulation problem on earth in third world countries, that because of the over population, these people are in poverty. It goes on to say that encouraging woman to have babies in Western countries through financial incentives just furthers the problem of overpopulation which drains our resources.

Suzuki says three North American children are just as deadly to the environment as 103 Bangladeshi children. However, I don’t think this isn’t just a matter of environmental concerns but cultural and societal differences. No where in this chapter does it mention the aging baby boomers or how maybe corrupt governments hold a card in the poverty dilemma as well.

I being silly, read this near Joan who desperately wants a baby, for reasons still unbeknownst to me. Then I was insensitive and said I agreed with some of the points, like overpopulation being bad. Silly me I forgot about Jo’s 16 year plan to have four kids. I feel terrible because it isn’t my place to judge who has babies and who doesn’t. I wonder if the environmentalists consider the fact that if we stop having kids the human race will end. Humanity and the environment go hand in hand but it seems that they are also opposing forces. It’s a never ending conundrum.

P.S. Mrs. Lachlan’s Mum is expecting her first litter of children….

No comments: